Beverly Johnson has had a successful life and career. This lead her to be celebrated by many organizations. And she is humbled and grateful for the accolades. She continues her work as an activist, philanthropist, and businesswoman determined to inspire people of all backgrounds.
On December 2016,
The Palm Springs Walk of Stars honored Beverly Johnson, Icon, Author, Actress, Supermodel and Coachella Valley resident with the 405th Star Dedication Ceremony.
Robert Alexander, President of The Palm Springs Walk of Stars Board of Directors, said “Local resident, Icon and world famous Supermodel Beverly Johnson, the first African-American model to grace the cover of Vogue Magazine, in August 1974, making world history as the first woman of color to ever grace the acclaimed magazine’s cover, and forever changing the beauty ideal in the fashion world, has been voted unanimously by the Palm Springs Walk of Stars Board of Directors to receive her Golden Palm Star on the prestigious Palm Springs Walk of Stars.”
SELECTED HONORS AND AWARDS
The Jackie Robinson of modeling, Beverly’s influence truly spans the globe.
- The New York Times named her as one of the “20th Century’s 100 Most Influential People in the Fashion Industry.”
- Global Down Syndrome Foundation proudly presents Beverly Johnson with the Quincy Jones Exceptional Advocacy Award
- Thurgood Marshall College Fund – Fashion Icon Award – Presented to SuperModel Beverly Johnson 2008
- Harlem Fashion Row – Lifetime Achievement Award<
- Barbara Sinatra Center for Abused Children – Leadership Award
- NAACP Image Award
- Broken Glass Award
- City of Buffalo Common Council Citizen Award
- Buffalo, NY and Erie County New York – “Beverly Johnson Day”
- During the Clinton era, Beverly was appointed the “Ambassador of Goodwill to the Fashion Industry” to help with the elimination of sweatshops.
- In July 2013 McDonald’s honored Beverly as one of “McDonald’s Black 365 Award” Honorees.
- In November 2013, The Black Retailers Action Group, BRAG, awarded Beverly with their highest award.
- Palm Springs Women in Film and Television – Voice of Courage Award – Beverly Johnson, 2015
- Athena International – Athena Leadership Award Recipient – Beverly Johnson, 2016